The ABO blood group system is a classification system for the antigens of human blood
discovered by Karl Landsteiner in 1900. There are four blood groups : A, B, AB and O.
The Rh blood group system is the second most significant system for blood grouping.
Rh factor refer to Rh D antigen only. Determination of Rh factor along with
ABO is essential for defining the Rh +ve or Rh -ve status of the individual.
Around 85% of the human population is Rh +ve while 15% is Rh -ve.
The ABO & Rh systems are the most significant blood group
systems from the clinical point of view.
Erythrocytes possessing the A antigen can be sub divided into A1 and A2 cells. Anti- A1 Lectin is designed for use in agglutination tests for the detection of the A1 antigen on human red cells. Group A red blood cells which are agglutinated with Anti- A1 Lectin are said to be of sub-group A1.Those which are not agglutinated by Anti-A1 Lectin fall into subgroups weaker than A1, the majority being classified as A2. Approximately 80 % of the population of blood group A is A1, while the remaining 20% are A2 or weaker subgroup.
Anti D (IgG) Monoclonal Antibodies are in-vitro culture supernatant of hybrids obtained by cellular fusion (Hybridoma Technology). It is a monoclonal antibody for Rh typing and is for in-vitro use only. For direct and indirect antiglobulin test.